Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Music is a part of life


I can’t remember a time when music wasn’t a part of my life. Some of my earliest memories are of riding in a VW Van with an assortment of young people that my parents were in a gospel group with. Others are of music playing on the record player or the radio in the house. Mom sang often while I was growing up. Her soft airy soprano voice wove harmony to the alto and soprano voices of we children as we sang in the car on the way to church.

I sang in the choir in middle school and high school. My voice has changed since then but I still love remembering the music. The joy of being in the high school music room during lunch hour and listening to the piano or the radio with other students was incomparable.  It was a time of freedom and laughter and acceptance.

When my daughter was first born, I sang to her from the start. Her first lullaby was actually Silent Night. She still gets sleepy when she hears it. (smile) Many miles were walked up and down the hallway in our little home as I sang her songs to sooth her. She was not a difficult baby but hearing music made her that much easier.

My radio plays in my car all the time. I have eclectic taste when it comes to music. Often I prefer country music and would love to hear the older country more often… things with Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn. Fortunately for me, the station I listen to the most plays a lot of these artists on Saturday nights.

Family gatherings often include music. When all 4 sisters and Mom are together it is guaranteed to have music going on. We love to do the karaoke thing, but will sing just about anything that we can. To hear us do some of the old gospel rounds is amazing. I have video of my next sister after me singing with me and Mama as we were entertaining the toddlers while we got dinner together. Erinne had a lower voice than I did for a while so she tended to do the lower while I did higher and Mom wove around us.  I wish I had more recordings of these times.

I often play jazz on the radio at work for a soft background noise. It is soothing to the ear and helps to make the day go faster. I seem to get a lot more work done with the music playing than when I don’t have it on.

I can’t imagine my life without music. I am thankful for the memories I have of it and smile at them.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Music hath charms to soothe the savage beast ! Problem is when I sing, people want to attack. LOL

Irishlady said...

Ben, I think the same thing sometimes now that I haven't been singing as often and my voice has deepened. I can hit low notes taht I would never have been able to hit in High School but the high notes I used to hit are a memory only =)

Kathleen said...

Nice writing, Kerry! Thanks....and the next time you come here, please bring the video of us singing...would love to see/hear it !