Wednesday, February 8, 2012

pictures in the mind

Today a coworker was talking about an old fashioned style toaster. She forwarded a picture of what she meant to another coworker. He then showed me the picture and it was completely different from what I had pictured in my mind.  The picture she sent was of a rounded sided toaster, standard two slice but more of a toaster from the 50's than what I had in my head. I was picturing the toasters that looked like a triangle that had the heating element in the center and the doors hinged to hold the bread in place then you had to flip the bread to toast the other side of it. The man who got the picture was thinking of a toaster oven. I asked my husband what came into his mind when I said "old fashioned toaster" and he got a picture in his mind similar to what was in mine but his was to be put over a stove for the heating of the bread.
It made me laugh when I thought of all the different pictures that come into mind when words are put together. My mother blogs as well at http://kathleen-thewordsmith.blogspot.com/    A recent blog she had was on the old style typewriters and other old fashioned items.
Her blog made me realize that so many of the kids today won't have ever used anything other than a computer keyboard or a tablet. They won't know about typewriters and carbon paper and phones that had cords attached and rotary dials. They don't know about phonographs and reel style lawn mowers. Many children today don't know about camping in a tent and dealing with the heat because they haven't been exposed to it.
Technology is great but sometimes I wish for the days of yore when things were not as easy and instantaneous.




1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I thought of the same type of old toaster that your hubby did. You put the bread on one of those drop down doors, close it, and put it over the stove.

My Grandma B. used to toast bread by plunging a fork into the crust of the bread, and holding it over the flame....much like you would when toasting a marshmallow!